School History

1842

School established by the Incumbent, David Jones, absorbing the previous charity school, which had been operating since 1712 on the rent charge of Samuel Badger.

1847

53 children were on roll of the "National School".

1850

>A building was provided by the Lord of the Manor and held privately by his descendants.

1853

The school was being managed by the incumbent, who supplied the deficiency in income that had arisen.

1884

An enlargement was required.

1886

George Beard made a will leaving an endowment for educational purposes at the National School as long as it was maintained by voluntary subscriptions.

1904

113 children attended. A yearly tenancy agreement dated 20th June 1904 was made with the joint owners of the school, Mr. Price-Jones and Mr. Cumberland-Jones. (No copy extant).

1936

78 children attended.

1951

Under the provisions of the Education Act 1944, in order to give approval to Aided Status the Ministry of Education required the site and premises to be held on lease for at least 21 years. It is thought a lease was provided, and certainly the managers paid a shilling a year rent to a Miss Denison Jones, although this may merely have been a continuation of the 1904 terms, which allowed for the same rent.

1959

Vesting of the school site in the Diocesan Trust was agreed, but it appears that Miss Denison Jones may have died before implementing this because the owners in 1960 were Mrs Hollings and Mrs Fisher.

1967

117 children attended; they were accommodated in the three classrooms of the main building and in a wooden ex-RAF building provided as two temporary classrooms, the conditions of which led to the priority of the school's bid for new premises.

1968

Three form bases were provided on the new site to which the infants moved. Over the next few years it was thought that the site purchased by the county would be available for two-form entry junior and infant schools to serve both Leonard Stanley and Kings Stanley parishes. Geographically they merge.

1974

25th March:

 

Public Notice for significant enlargement of

 

Leonard Stanley School to 280 places - first instalment to go to 210 places

 

26th July: Approval of Transfer of the School to the New Site.

 

7th October: Approval of Significant Enlargement, but modified to 245 places, not 280.

1977

Old premises given up to owners and school moved entirely to new site.